About the City Secretary
The Garland City Charter established the position of City Secretary to be appointed by the City Council, and to be charged with carrying out duties established by the City Charter and local ordinances, as well as State and Federal laws that relate to the office. The position, by ordinance, also includes holding the office of Records Management Officer for the City.
What the City Secretary Does
The following are among our opportunities to serve you:
- Applications for Council appointment to advisory boards, commissions, and ad hoc committees
- City Council information, including copies of minutes and DVDs
- City of Garland Code of Ordinances supplements
- City of Garland Elections
- Claims against the City
- Copies of ordinances, resolutions, contracts, and all other documents authorized by City Council
- Process petitions filed by citizens
- Track proposed state legislation and state agency agendas
City Council Meetings
Except for executive sessions, all meetings of the City Council are open to the public. City Council regular meetings begin at 7 p.m. on the first and third Tuesday of each month and its work sessions begin at 6 p.m. on Monday preceding each regular meeting. The regular meetings are held in the Council Chambers and the work sessions are in the Work Session Conference Room at:
200 N Fifth Street
Garland, TX 75040
Agendas for Council proceedings are posted on the lighted bulletin board outside the north entrance to City Hall 72 consecutive hours before the meeting or work session, except as provided by State Law. A copy of the agenda and back-up information is also available in the City Secretary's Office. Agendas for meetings of Council Subcommittees, Boards, Committees and Commissions are also posted on the bulletin board.
The City Secretary’s Office is located on the fourth floor of City Hall. We are open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. We are also open every City Election Day, and are present for City Council regular and special meetings and work sessions.