Business & Legal Resources
Online Resource Tutorials
The Garland Libraries offer on how to use many of our online resources. Learn how to use Value Line, Mango Languages, Testing and Education Reference Center, Chilton Auto Repair and many more. Also included are tutorials on , , , , , , , and .
We have grouped several resource together to make them easier to find:
|Genealogy & History|
|Finance and Investments||Alphabetical List|
The City of Garland has received funding from the CARES Act and is to distribute $500,000 of those funds to Garland small businesses through the Community Reinvestment Fund (CRF) Business Assistance Program. Grants of up to $20,000 will be made to businesses with up to twenty (20) employees at the time of application. Applications will be accepted via the Garland Chamber website. If at least 75 percent of grant funding is not distributed by August 14, 2020, the Garland Chamber will open grant applications to businesses employing 21 to 50 employees.
The Texas Economic Development Corporation has compiled statewide resources to support businesses and will ensure you are informed with the most up-to-date information surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Small Business Handbook provides a comprehensive overview of business planning, registration, requirements and financing. The Handbook also identifies programs and organizations supporting entrepreneurs and small business owners throughout the state of Texas. This handbook is intended to provide general guidance and assistance to those interested in developing or further expanding their business in Texas and beyond. It is not intended to be construed or relied upon as legal, accounting, or other professional services or advice. More info:
Search Businesses, People, Mailing Lists and Sales Leads, Jobs, and more.
AtoZdatabases is the premier Reference, Research, Marketing, Mailing Lists/Sales Leads, and Job-Search Database. The database includes:
- 30 Million Businesses & Executives
- 7 Million Jobs
- 15 Million Executives Email Addresses
- 2 Million New Businesses
- 7.9 Million Healthcare Professionals
- 200 Million Residents
- 90 Million Homeowners
- 50,000 New Homeowners Added Weekly
- 200,000 New Movers Added Weekly
The databases are ideal for sales leads, mailing lists, market research, employment opportunities, background searches, finding friends, relatives and a whole lot of other possibilities.
Update Frequency: Some databases are updated monthly, some weekly, and the jobs database is a real-time update.
Offers full text articles from hundreds of key publications, and provides access to product evaluations, interviews, biographical sketches, corporate profiles, obituaries, surveys, statistical rankings, book reviews and reports from associations, societies, trade shows, conferences and more.
- Full text articles for nearly 460 publications dating back to 1982
- Quality indexing and abstracts for nearly 880 publications dating back to 1981
- Over 600,000 corporate names with cross references to specific industries and countries
- Access to charts, graphs, photographs and other graphical content
- Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) and North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) industry and product codes for over 190,000 subject terms
Business Continuity & Disaster Recovery Reference Center is a full-text database used by corporations and government agencies. Ebsco’s product management team mapped the content to highlight information related to cleaning up after floods, child protection following natural disasters, water quality management following floods, food safety following natural disasters and preparing for the next disaster for individuals and communities looking to recover. They also pulled together information related to business continuity following a natural disaster, library management following a natural disaster and small business management following a flood for libraries and businesses affected by the hurricanes and their aftermath.
- More than 240 full-text publications
- Cover-to-cover indexing for more than 260 publications
- More than 400,000 records with subject headings from an extensive thesaurus
Content is updated on a weekly basis to incorporate new materials.
Actual business plans compiled by, and aimed at, entrepreneurs seeking funding for small businesses. Presents sample plans taken from businesses in the manufacturing, retail and service industries which serve as examples of how to approach, structure and compose business plans.
Features and benefits in each volume:
- Twenty business plans, each of which represent an attempt at clarifying (for themselves and others) the reasons that the business should exist or expand and why a lender should fund the enterprise.
- Two fictional plans that are used by business counselors at a prominent small business development organization as examples for their clients. (You will find these in the Business Plan Template Appendix.)
- A directory section that includes listings for venture capital and finance companies, which specialize in funding start-up and second-stage small business ventures, and a comprehensive listing of Service Corps of Retired Executives (SCORE) offices. In addition, the Appendix also contains updated listings of all Small Business Development Centers (SBDCs); associations of interest to entrepreneurs; Small Business Administration (SBA) Regional Offices; and consultants specializing in small business planning and advice. It is strongly advised that you consult supporting organizations while planning your business, as they can provide a wealth of useful information.
- A Small Business Term Glossary to help you decipher the sometimes confusing terminology used by lenders and others in the financial and small business communities.
- A cumulative index, outlining each plan profiled in the complete Business Plans Handbook series.
- A Business Plan Template which serves as a model to help you construct your own business plan. This generic outline lists all the essential elements of a complete business plan and their components, including the Summary, Business History and Industry Outlook, Market Examination, Competition, Marketing, Administration and Management, Financial Information, and other key sections. Use this guide as a starting point for compiling your plan.
- Extensive financial documentation required to solicit funding from small business lenders. You will find examples of Cash Flows, Balance Sheets, Income Projections, and other financial information included with the textual portions of the plan.
In addition to the searchable cited references provided for more than 1,300 journals, Business Source Complete contains detailed author profiles for the 40,000 most-cited authors in the database. Journal ranking studies reveal that Business Source Complete is the overwhelmingly superior database for full-text journals in all disciplines of business, including marketing, management, MIS, POM, accounting, finance and economics. Additional full-text, non-journal content includes financial data, books, monographs, major reference works, conference proceedings, case studies, investment research reports, industry reports, market research reports, country reports, company profiles, SWOT analyses, faculty seminars (videos), and more.
- Search for company profiles, industry profiles, and market research reports
- Full-text business publications from Regional Business News
- Includes financial data and SWOT analyses
Full text for more than 80 regional U.S. and Canadian business publications (including titles from Crain Communications)
This database offers a wide variety of information on small business and entrepreneurial subject areas, common business types, a help and advice section, and provides information on how to create business plans that lead to successful funding. “How-to” instructions address small business topics, such as buying and selling a business, managing employees, writing a business plans, understanding legal information, a business and much more.
- Nearly 400 full text periodicals
- Over 450 full text reference books
- Hundreds of business videos
- State-specific resources
- Business Basics
- Start-up Kit & Business Plans
- General Business Areas
- Industry Information by Small Business Type
Designed for sustainability experts and information professionals, this collection offers unmatched full-text coverage of content relevant to many integral areas of sustainability initiative management.
- More than 500 full-text journals
- Cover-to-cover indexing for more than 900 publications
- More than 940,000 records with subject headings from an extensive thesaurus
- Benchmarks and best practices
- Corporate social responsibility
- Environmental stewardship
- Federal, state and local regulations
- "Green" issues and initiatives
- ISO 14000
- Renewable energy
- Resource conservation
- Social entrepreneurship
- Sustainable business practices
- Waste reduction
Containing full text for nearly 250 of the world's most respected, scholarly law journals, this database is an authoritative source for information on current issues, studies, thoughts and trends of the legal world.
- Offers information centered on the discipline of law and legal topics such as criminal justice, international law, federal law, organized crime, medical, labor & human resource law, ethics, the environment and much more.
- Full text contained in this database includes: American Journal of Criminal Law, California Law Review and many more.
Downloadable Texas and U.S. legal forms
- Fill-in and print or save to disk or flash drive
- Forms and sample letters are in Word, RTF or fillable Adobe PDF
- Includes real estate contracts, wills, pre-marital agreements, bankruptcy, divorce, landlord tenant and many others.
- Also included is a comprehensive attorney state directory and a dictionary of legal definitions explained in laymen's language.
EBSCO's Legal Information Reference Center offers everyday users the necessary tools and detailed how-to instructions covering a wide-range of legal issues. A majority of the full-text legal reference books are provided through Nolo, the nation’s oldest and most respected provider of legal information for consumers and small businesses. With the Legal Forms by U.S. State feature, users can search state-specific legal forms by top subject areas including adoption, bankruptcy, name changes and more.